Exceptional valor, bravery, or ability, with the strength of mind to carry on in spite of danger.
In her series “Da Capo Sonata Codetta” Ashten McKinney carefully disassembles retired musical instruments giving them a newfound life and beauty through sculpture and assemblage work; often paying homage to her passion for both music and nature.
Da Capo (adjective, adverb)
- translated from Italian literally to “from the head” however in music means “from the beginning”.
- a principle of composing large scale works, often referring to Western classical music from the early 19th century onwards.
- in music, “coda” refers to the section that concludes a song. The length of the coda can range from a few measures to an entire segment that concludes the piece. ”Codetta” on the other hand translates from Italian to “little tail” and is less extensive than the larger coda. This, codetta is used to end a single section of a song rather than the entire musical piece.
In this series, Mckinney invites the viewer to consider their own experiences, fears, and victories with starting over - while always reinforcing the philosophy that it is never too late to change direction when the past no longer serves our current lives.
“In addition to my love for nature, music has permanent place in my heart with a strong, organic presence throughout daily life. This piece represents growth, movement, strength, intelligence, passion, and tenacity. Putting this together was at times a very overwhelming process, but in the end was worth every bit of frustration that came with it - and a gentle reminder to never give up.
Whatever your struggles are, spread your wings, blast some great tunes, and know that like the eagle, you too are majestic” -AM
- “Prowess” (Ashten McKinney, 2022)
- assemblage wall sculpture made from repurposed piano parts
- approximately 78x24 inches